5 tips for better solvent resistant labelling
What do you need to consider to make the right durable label decision?
There are many factors to consider while choosing the right labels for you, this can protect the value of your samples and studies and ensure there are no issues with traceability or auditing of your samples and processes.
When you look for a solvent resistant label solution, what things do you need to consider to ensure you make the right decision for your business?
1. Understand what resistance your label will need
What will your Cold & Cryogenic labels, Hazard and Warning labels, Labware ID or Autoclave and Sterilisation labels be exposed to?
- Cold temperatures laboratory freezers -20°C
- Ultra-low temperature laboratory freezers and dry ice transportation -80°C
- Liquid nitrogen (cryogenic storage) and deep freeze thaw temperatures -196°C
- High temperature for steam sterilisation +130°C
- Data smudging and fading
- Alcohol and water
- Mild solvents
- Handling and abrasion
CILS solvent resistant label range provides maximum resistance to these chemicals and solvents, repetitive handling and multiple freeze thaws cycles and autoclave.
2. Know what temperatures your label will have to resist
Whilst you may consider solvent resistance as the primary importance, also consider “other” factors such as exposure to environmental conditions like ultraviolet rays, extreme temperature fluctuations, frequent cleaning as well as abrasion.
CILS solvent resistant labels can withstand temperatures ranging between -196°C to +388°C and can handle exposure to repetitive handling and harsh weather conditions.
3. Consider what application or surface your label is being applied to
typical laboratories applications, such as general labware, caps and tubes, slides, reagent kits or medical device identification, are all constructed of different materials and therefore have very different surfaces which labels need to adhere to.
CILS solvent and ultra-solvent resistant label range has been designed with a permanent adhesive that has been tested and perfected over the past 30 years to provide superior bonding on a variety of surfaces, including textured, hard-to-stick or low energy surfaces.
4. Know how the label intends to be used
Knowing the life cycle of your label up-front is critical so that you can choose the correct label. Do you require your label to be permanent, removable after a while or will you require some evidence of tampering if there is an attempted removal of the label?
When you need high-quality printing of durable labels with your variable data, you can use our printing service to save you the time, effort and expense of printing your own labels.
5. Know what printing solutions are available
Once you have identified the types of laboratory labels you require, you can find the best solution to produce your labels and print variable data such as sample IDs, serial numbers, barcodes, etc.
The unique CILS computer printable surface coating allows variable data to be printed on the labels in minutes, straight from an existing PC and Laser or Thermal Transfer printer (using the correct CILS printer ribbons). The benefits of using your existing laser printer or thermal transfer printer means no capital outlay, and gives you an element of control over how many labels you use and how frequently you need to print them.
CILS can also pre-print solvent resistant labels, ready for you to apply your variable data using your own PC and printer – an efficient and convenient hi-tech 'print-and-apply' solvent resistant labelling solution.
The benefits of CILS solvent and ultra-solvent resistant label range:
- Unique CILS printable coatings provide ultimate solvent resistance without secondary lacquers or laminates.
- Printable straight from your PC and standard laser or thermal transfer printer.
- Different options of adhesives for permanent labelling.
- Suitable on all surfaces, including smooth, textured, glass, powder-coated, cast metal, curved, surfaces, etc.
- Protect the value of your samples and ensure there are no issues with traceability.
- Labels made to any size, shape and design to match your specific requirements and with no tooling charges.
To find out more about our solvent resistant label range and what we can do to help you. Fill our our quick contact form, send us an email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1903 219000.